Selena Gomez dropped her third studio album ‘Rare‘ on January 10, 2020, via Interscope Records. ‘Rare’ is one of the highly anticipated albums of 2020. She released this album after almost five years since the release of ‘Revival’. She sang her heart out in this one. The album ‘Rare’ has a total of 13 tracks. ‘Rare’ is about being heartbroken and a journey of newfound peace, self-loving and independence. No-doubt the best album of her.
About ‘Rare’ Selena had earlier said, “Every song on the record has some sort of emotion or conflict or there’s something going on. I related to everything on this record very, very clearly.” People reported.
The lyrics of each song says a lot from her album ‘Rare’
The title track Rare describes from being in a relationship with someone who doesn’t value and appreciates her to finding her self-worth and hoping she’ll find someone who’ll never do this to her.
- “Baby/ You’ve been so distant from me lately/And lately/ Don’t even wanna call you baby”
- “It feels like you don’t care/Why don’t you recognize I’m so rare?/Always there/You don’t do the same for me/ That’s not fair”
- “I don’t have it all/I’m not claiming to/But I know that I’m special, yeah/And I’ll bet there’s somebody else out there/To tell me I’m rare/To make me feel rare”
The track describes the feeling after post-breakup, meeting new people, enjoying life again. Not waiting for happiness to dance again. Being confident about herself. Also emotional and vulnerable at the same time.
- “Happiness/Ain’t something you sit back and you wait for/Mmm, ah/Confidence/Is throwing your heart through every brick wall”
- “Feels so, feels so, feels so good to dance again/Feels so, feels so, feels so good to dance again/With my emotions undressed, I’m going in with everything/To dance again”
- “Vulnerable/Ain’t easy, believe me, but I go there/Mmm, oh/It’s like I’m ten feet tall/I’m high off the weight off of my shoulders”
LOOK AT HER NOW
This song reflects the confidence that she re-gained after her breakup. Also, being strong and finding herself back. It’s about finally leaving the past behind and moving on in life. ‘It’s a reminder that you can rise again no matter what challenges life brings’ Selena said.
- “It was her first real lover/His too ’til he had another/Oh, God, when she found out/Trust levels went way down”
- “Of course she was sad/But now she’s glad she dodged a bullet (Mm)/Took a few years to soak up the tears/But look at her now, watch her go”
- “She knows she’ll find love (She knows)/Only if she wants it/She knows she’ll find love (She knows)/On the up from the way down/Look at her now, watch her go”
LOSE YOU TO LOVE ME
The first single and the most heartbreaking song on this album. The song narrates she lost her lover forever. And by losing him she found herself. Also, how to truly love herself and be a better version of herself.
- “You promised the world and I fell for it/I put you first and you adored it/Set fires to my forest/And you let it burn/Sang off-key in my chorus/’Cause it wasn’t yours”
- “In two months, you replaced us/Like it was easy/Made me think I deserved it/In the thick of healing, yeah”
- “We’d always go into it blindly/I needed to lose you to find me/This dancing was killing me softly/I needed to hate you to love me, yeah”
This song is probably a shady nod to Justin. Also, describes her being single then dating again. And not interested in men she dated at all. This is a great song with some vintage vibes to it.
- “You all in your feelings, baby, all into me/I’m one in a billion, baby, don’t you agree?”
- “Yeah, I received your message, all twenty-three (Twenty-three)/You know I’m Jordan with it, G-O-A-T (G-O-A-T)”
- “I’m breakin’ hearts like a heart attack/Got him right where the carats at/Wrapped ’round my finger like a ring, ring, ring/They just like puppets on a string, string, string/I put it down, they call me up/They doin’ way too much/So I’ll just let it ring, ring, ring”
Vulnerable is probably about her on-again-off-again relationship with Bieber. Furthermore, she’s falling into the same situation. She was vulnerable enough to be with him again. Even after their relationship has failed before. But, maybe her partner was not.
- “If I give you every piece of me, I know that you could drop it/Give you the chance, I know that you could take advantage once you got it/If I open up my heart to you, I know that you could lock it/Throw away the key, and keep it there forever in your pocket”
- “I’ma give you all my body, are you strong enough to hold it?/If I show you all my demons, and we dive into the deep end/Would we crash and burn like every time before?
- “I would tell you all my secrets, wrap your arms around my weakness/If the only other option’s letting go/I’ll stay vulnerable, yeah”
PEOPLE YOU KNOW
In this song, she describes how people change with time. Now, she doesn’t know that person anymore who one’s was very close to her heart. She also feels like she wasted her time on a person who is now her past.
- “You were runnin’ through me like water/Now the feeling’s leavin’ me dry/These days, we couldn’t be farther/So how’s it feel to be on the other side?”
- “So many wasted (Wasted) Nights with (Nights with) you (You)/I still can taste it (Taste it)/I hate it, wish I could take it back ’cause”
- “We used to be close, but people can go/From people you know to people you don’t/And what hurts the most is people can go/From people you know to people you don’t”
LET ME GET ME
Selena sings about feeling free from her thoughts and struggles. She’s happy being free and she’ll never let herself down for someone else.
- “I’m in dance floor therapy, all my babies and me/But tonight, it’s for free/No self-sabotage, no letting my thoughts run/Me and this spiral are done”
- “Burn this camouflage I’ve been wearing for months/Tryna let a little happy in for once/I need to let my mind rest/While my body reflects (Ooh)”
- “Don’t get me down, I won’t let me get me (Ooh)/Don’t get me down, I won’t let me get me (Ooh)/I’m good right now, I won’t let me get me/Take that tired heart and go and turn it inside-out”
Crowded Room is about Selena’s connection with someone at the beginning. She hoped her relationship will last forever. Then, at one point she realised about it. But she couldn’t keep herself from going back again.
- “It started polite, out on thin ice/’Til you came over to break it/I threw you a line and you were mine/Yeah, I was afraid, but you made it safe/I guess that is our combination/Said you feel lost, well, so do I”
- “So won’t you call me in the morning?/I think that you should call me in the morning/If you feel the same ’cause”
- “Engulfed in the flames/Engulfed in the shame/Betrayed by your imagination/In over my head, but that’s alright”
In this song, she is saying how her relationship became toxic. It went from a healthy relation to the toxic one. She’s grateful that she realised it before it’s too late.
- “Hey, you started out sweeter than hard candy/Words were like licorice to the taste/But slowly, all the sugar, it went to waste/Went to waste”
- “I think you’re kind of crazy/And not the good kind, baby/’Cause you’re actin’ super shady/You know it, you know it/Been dodgin’ phone calls lately/But still textin’ me, “Baby”/Yeah, I think you’re kind of crazy/You know it, you know it”
- “You’ve been lyin’ just for fun/Luckily, no damage done/But now I see you’re kind of crazy/You know it, you know it”
In this track, Selena states about falling in love with someone who is not good for her. For a short-term connection, she wants to fall in love just for fun. Love is like a dangerous drug for her.
- “I’m a sensitive situation (Mmm)/You’re a hot and cold combination/Oh, we both know we got complications (Mmm)/If I’m lookin’ at you and me, we’re on some kind of symmetry, oh”
- “Oh, we got somethin’ in this room/Can’t make that up/You may not be the one, uh-huh/But you look like fun”
- “Can we keep it on a first name basis? (Ah)/We could overcrowd each other’s spaces/You get me higher than my medication/Take me to different places, let’s face it, I’m gettin’ impatient”
CUT YOU OFF
Cut You Off is about being fed up of all the drama. And, finally saying goodbye to her lover for forever. She’s more focused. She doesn’t overthink and is doing great. The song is written about “an asshole boy who shall not be named” said Lisa Owen, the co-writer of this song.
- “Pull up to the mirror, staring at my face/Gotta chop-chop all the extra weight/I’ve been carrying for fourteen-hundred-sixty days/Gotta, gotta, gotta clean my slate”
- “The truth is that I think I’ve had enough/Professionally messin’ with my trust/How could I confuse that shit for love?”
- “Emotionally messin’ with my health, ha/How could I confuse that shit for love?”
- “When I’m without you/I don’t overthink it, I just carry on, get/You out my head now/I just cut you off”
A SWEETER PLACE
The last track of the album is about finding a sweeter place. This reflects her journey from being emotionally broken to finally finding peace on her own.
- “Is there a place where I can hide away?/Red lips, french kiss my worries all away/There must be a sweeter place/We can sugarcoat the taste/Sweeter place/There must be a sweeter”
- “Ooh, you’ll really wanna know where I’ve been all this time/So lemme tell ya/Ooh, got two feet on the ground and felt what real is like/What it was like/Livin’ out of the scene, out in the wild/Learnin’ to breathe/Up in the clouds, far from the crowds”
- “We will find our way, we’ll find the things we seek, ooh-ee/You see, I’m mesmerized/This is just for me and I am cuttin’ ties, goodbye”